The Center for the Study of Democracy is searching to appoint a Roma fellow under the project Mind the gap! – Facilitating access to and take up of Youth Guarantee measures by Roma youth in Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania.
A person with research interests and very good communication skills.
- Student or graduate in humanities (sociology, political science, economics, public administration or related fields)
- Very good computer literacy. Good familiarity with social media (e.g., Facebook, Instagram)
- Database processing skills (proficient usage of Excel, SPSS or similar software)
- Excellent oral and written command of the Bulgarian language, ability to compose texts and communicate formally with institutions (such as media and policymaking institutions) in both written and oral form
- Very good command of English (minimum level B2 in reading, writing, listening and speaking)
- Familiarity with topics related to Roma in Bulgaria
- Independent spoken usage of Romanes
Part-time, 20 hours/week
Tasks and responsibilities
- Processing and summarizing of collected data (qualitative and quantitative)
- Logistical and administrative assistance in the organisation of meetings and events
- Supporting project advocacy efforts locally, regionally, and nationally
- Development and release of communication and project dissemination materials
- Assistance in elaboration and collection of administrative and financial documents
- Drafting research and project reports
- Other relevant tasks as specified by project supervisor
- Acquiring organizational, administrative, research and writing skills
- Accumulating work experience in the field of policy evaluation and protection of vulnerable groups
- Working in an international environment
- Acquiring knowledge about the project implementation cycle and project management
- Opportunities to contact and communicate with different types of stakeholders relevant to Roma in Bulgaria and abroad
- Contacts and exchange of experience with Roma youth from Hungary and Romania
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview
To be negotiated. Social and health insurance according to Bulgarian legislation.
To apply for this position, please, send your motivation letter and CV (Europass format) in English, together with relevant diplomas and certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 26, 2018.
Senior Analyst / Research Fellow
The Center for the Study of Democracy is looking to hire highly motivated and experienced senior analysts / research fellows to support its ongoing projects in the following areas:
Migration, vulnerable groups and fundamental rights
- Inclusion of Vulnerable Groups
- Migration and asylum
- Prevention of radicalisation
- Trafficking in persons
- Fundamental rights
Security and home affairs
- Crime and policing, organized crime
- EU border security and illegal migration
- Radicalisation and terrorism
- Corruption and economic crime
Comparative political economy
- Foreign economic footprint and good governance risks
- Energy security and energy transition
- Anti-corruption and the EU Neighborhood and Enlargement policies
- State capture: from practice to theory
- Master’s degree in a relevant field of the Social sciences and at least 4 years of relevant professional experience (PhD would be an advantage);
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative methods of research;
- Strong written and analytical skills;
- Excellent organisational and communication skills;
- Experience in presenting research results and policy analysis to academic, professional and lay audiences and the media;
- Strong-problem-solving skills;
- High level of proficiency in the English language;
- Experience with project development and coordination;
- Publication track record;
- Knowledge of other EU languages;
- Experience in English language working environment.
- Project development;
- Project coordination and implementation;
- Design of research methodologies;
- Conduct of policy research and analysis;
- Drafting of analytical texts;
- Present research results at academic, professional audiences and the media;
- Interact with a broad range of partners nationally and internationally.
The successful candidates should:
- Express strong interest in the above-mentioned research areas;
- Be able to prioritize tasks and deliver under pressure;
- Keep strict and sometimes conflicting deadlines;
- Be self-reliant, yet strong team player.
Job conditions: The positions are full time and project-based, temporary contracts limited to up to 2 years with possibility for permanent employment beyond this period. Pay will be commensurate with educational level and experience.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview
Application: Please, send your CV, motivation letter (1 page), contact information and a writing sample in English (possibly published article) to email@example.com. Please provide the contact details of at least two references.
Deadline for submission of applications: February 28th, 2018.
Center for the Study of Democracy
A leading Bulgarian non-profit organization seeks an energetic, well-organized, and detail-oriented person to fill the role of Communications Officer. This is a full-time position based at the organization’s headquarters in Sofia, Bulgaria. The position provides a unique opportunity for a self-starter with initiative to strengthen the strategic communications program at an established think tank seeking to reconfirm brand identity, increase audience, raise profile, and maximize impact. The Communications Officer would manage day-to-day operations in developing content, media relations, engagement in public policy events, website and social media, and internal communications.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Website: Coordinate the organization’s website along with potential redesign initiatives; optimize content for discovery and user experience
- Social media: Curate content across Facebook, LinkedIn, and investigate new platforms
- Blogging and Video: Write blog posts and develop and curate original video content (video editing skills is a plus)
- Events: Work with others in the organization to put on strategically defined, high-impact events, both public and invitation-only workshops, conferences, and panel-discussions
- Media relations: Write and distribute press releases, maintain database of media contacts, develop strategies for connecting experts and media contacts; manage media inquiries
- Internal communications: Help develop and maintain systems of communication within the organization and its board; work with others within the organization to implement communications initiatives and processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or related field
- Minimum 3 years of professional communications experience
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
- Knowledge of website communications and user-oriented strategies; blogging and content publishing and re-purposing; social media platforms; video and video-editing; familiarity with SugarCRM is a plus
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills, and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment required to plan, prioritize and organize a diversified workload
- Strong work ethic with attention to detail; professional demeanor, and a strong ability to collaborate
- Capacity to solve problems and identify ways to improve efficiency;
- Solid relationships with members of the media is a plus.
Competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ensure that the subject line of your email includes the text "Communications Officer" The position is open until filled.