|SPAI regional conference|
September 17-19, 2001
Romania's Action Plan under Pillar
The Government and civil society representatives
agree to support the following actions:
- Publicise any actions and results of any domestic
and international efforts in fighting corruption.
- Conduct awareness campaign in form of public TV
series of programmes dealing with corruption in different sectors,
bringing together representatives of both sides prone to
- Work on inclusion of corruption issues in school
- Revise election law (on-going).
- Draft and approve the new law on the right of
association of journalists, including investigative ones.
Legal Environment for Civil Society
- Amend the Ordinance on NGOs into a form of new law,
and re-register the NGOs.
- Introduce zero VAT on NGOs operations.
Civil Society Capacity
- Complete two projects on citizen advice bureaux and
NGO-local officers within regional administration throughout whole
- Create and develop sectoral resource centres,
primarily for anti-corruption and investigative journalist
- Acquire the national importance status by key
State of the Media
- Revise the laws to end penalties for slander and
libel; mediation of international organisation would best
facilitate the action (OSCE).
- Take action in order to secure independence of
regulatory bodies, introduce new law against accumulation of
ownership in communications/media business and possibly establish
anti-monopoly body, reduce the number of required licences (a
meeting to be organised).
Transparency in Government and Co-operation with
- Invite and involve the oversight institutions,
namely Ombudsman and Court of Accounts, and the parliamentary
committee dealing with corruption, to closer work together with
other players, and strengthen these institutions.
- Increase the Government capacity to inform,
starting from internal co-ordination in this area, following with
improvement of external coherent information. A strategy should be
- Restructure the Social Economic Council.
- Carefully look at the final text and later
implementation of the new access to information law, to avoid
unnecessary exclusions of information labelled as secret.
- Increase the capacities for expertise, establish
rosters of experts and a think-tank, preferably under the
governmental office dealing with NGOs, in order to support civil
- Draft and approve codes of conducts in civil
service, business, NGOs.
- Draft and approve conflict of interest law.
- Ensure NGOs' monitoring possibility and assistance
in public procurement procedures.
- Assist in any possible way the newly established
national anti-corruption body.
- Train judges in international law provisions.
- Make it possible for NGOs to participate in new
laws preparatory process.