|SPAI regional conference|
September 17-19, 2001
Moldova's Action Plan under Pillar
The Government and civil society representatives
agree to support the following actions:
Regular Research and Analysis on Corruption in
- Assessment of economic and social consequences of
corruption (evaluation of total loss for the state budget, tax
evasion, indicators related to fiscal and economic
- Carrying out of opinion polls in order to evaluate
the public perception of corruption in various sectors of economic
activities and public institutions.
- Preparing and editing regular booklets and a book
on assessment of corruption and the main strategies to tackle
corruption by government and civil society.
- Editing and translating the "Transparency
International Source Book" as a National guide on fighting
corruption for public officials, dissemination of the book among
public officials, NGOs, public libraries.
- Development of an anti-corruption programme for the
University and college students.
Collaboration with the Government
- Organisation of regular meetings between NGOs and
representatives of the Government in order to exchange information
(a preliminary agreement with the Court of Accounts, Ministry of
Internal Affairs and Ministry of Justice has been reached).
- Preparing proposals for the National Program for
Fighting Corruption. Monitoring of its implementation.
- Proposals concerning the reform of the judiciary
system in order to provide access to justice and ensure the
independent functioning of the judicial sphere.
- Proposals on preventing corruption in public
- Proposals on tackling corruption among tax
- Proposals on tackling corruption in customs
- Expertise on draft legislation (such as laws on
public procurement, money laundering, bankruptcy, lobbying).
Public Awareness Campaigns
- Creation of an information unit and setting up of a
web site on corruption issues that will include all available
information on the country such as: legislation; reports of the
Court of Accounts and of Tax Inspection; Ministry of Internal
Affairs' initiatives; reports of TI-Moldova and other NGOs;
articles from information agencies and newspapers.
- Organisation of two national anti-corruption
conferences in the Republic of Moldova (first conference to be
organised at the beginning of the project and the second at the
- Organising contests for the best articles on
corruption issues and placing them on the web site.
- Taking part in TV programs on corruption
- Preparing a publicity film (video spot) related to
integrity and transparency.
- Organising workshops - for government
representatives, NGOs, businessmen - about the harmful consequences
of corruption for the economic, social and democratic development
of the country.
The total budget of the project is USD 299,500.
UNDP - Moldova is ready to assist Transparency
International - Moldova with USD 150,000 for the implementation of
the first half of the project (18 months).
USAID is ready to finance the activities on tackling
corruption in tax inspection and custom services (about USD
In order to successfully implement the entire project, Transparency
International -Moldova needs additional funding from donors for a
total of USD 120,000.